I managed to ring USM to ask for clarification on the return home procedures.
These procedures were imposed recently to avoid some PhD candidates return home before finishing their study. Most cases involved family or married couple mainly in UK, in which they returned home after submitted their thesis. Unfortunately, some of them were requested by the university to do more works/researches and resubmit their thesis-the beginning of unnecessary spending of taxpayers money :-) They started to ask USM for extra funding to go back, bring their family etc...In other case, they asked for financial support to attend viva...
I'm quite happy with the explanation. However, I still think we don't need to get dean's approval to return home. I believe, the dean doesn't even know what we are doing...at least, we can eliminate one level of unnecessary bureaucracy..
For PhD candidates or sponsored students, we need to stick to the agreement-1 return ticket to study and 1 return ticket for conference or data collection. Other than that, use our money! Avoid unnecessary spending of taxpayers money...
No comments:
Post a Comment