- Good relationship with supervisor- meaning that you must discuss your problems (professinally and personally) with your supervisor(s). I would suggest PhD is not about ourselves, but also our family and friends. Therefore, it's very important for a supervisor to understand our situation.
- Keep yourselves busy- Sounds familiar?? If we are not that busy, we will start complaining about everything. Why?? Because we have so much time to think about other things e.g. your supervisor always busy for discussion, your friend know more than you do, etc..I suggest, find other thing to keep you busy. During my PhD study, I worked in as casual staff in library for 10 hours a week. I also did some lab demonstrations and marking for undergrad students. For entertainment and leasure, I always try to find time to travel or at least picnic. Not to forget, I shopped a lot for entertainment and reward :-)
- Write throughout PhD study- I'm consider lucky because my supervisor always encourage me to write. My first conference paper was presented in less than 3 months I started my PhD. I wrote minimum of 2 journal papers or conference papers a year.
- Keep your friends and family close (or closer)- believe me, we need friends and family support to go through this perid!
- Give yourselves a break! - there are up and down period throughout PhD study. Don't force yourselves to keep study during this period. Sit back and relax, use this time to think on you next movement, next phase etc. You can even go for holiday.
- Everybody deserve a break!- we are not machine..Even machine needs to be serviced after certain period. I suggest 1 month holiday a year. Use this period wisely to meet your long lost family and friends, holiday on the mountain and beaches...I love this..
- It doesn't matter how hard or deep you fall. What really matter is how fast you rise...
- Don't over confident- anything can happen during our study. It's up to ourselves to handle it.
- Pray to God! We need help from Him to overcome problem...
More advice to come later...
No comments:
Post a Comment