Wednesday, 28 March 2007

Cervical cancer vaccine - subsidised price ??

I'm interested on an article in The Start dated 28/3/07

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/3/28/nation/17275239&sec=nation

Finally, 'Gardasil', the cervical cancer vaccine was approved by the Drug Control Authority of Malaysia last October. According to MAKNA, cervical cancer is the second most prevalent cause of deaths among female cancer patients in Malaysia. It's a relief to know that the vaccine is available in Malaysia :-)

However, can everybody afford the price?? In the Star, it was stated that the subsidised price was RM999 (available from National Cancer Society of Malaysia). Is this an affordable price for average income people? In the US, the vaccine price was USD 360, while in New Zealand the price was NZD450. How many percent subsidy?? 10-16% ONLY..well, it's better than nothing...

When the late PM's wife past away of breast cancer, he promised good facilities for cancer treatment, meaning that the facilities should be reachable and beneficial to all Malaysian. With this introductory price, I hope at least 10% of Malaysia population can access the vaccine (even though I seriously doubt it...)

p/s: Basic income of low level government servant is RM800 per month..How on earth we can afford this price??? If I save RM100 a month, I may be able to get the vaccine by the end of the year...:-)

No comments: