Monday, 17 December 2007

academic life

Today is registration day for 2nd semester...unlike in NZ, here students have to get approval from academic advisor before they can register subjects for this semester...I was assigned 8 first year students to advise/supervise throughout their 4 years degree.

As expected, Chinese students did quite well in their exam. Very few Malay students did well, while others only average or below average...


Remind me of BTN talks about matriculation students: how students live in the same place, eat the same food, taught by the same teacher BUT did not get the same results??? During matriculation, more than 95% Chinese got CGPA 4.00...

During my time, we never had academic advisor. I think nowadays students are quite lucky. They have lecturer that they can ask for advice. Either they want to take the opportunity or not is another story...

I pity a guy who came to me and admit his result was bad...He's quite down when he said his family put high hope on him...quite 'touching' when a guy nearly cry in front of me hehehehe...what can I do?? The only thing I can do is try to make them see reason why they need to excel...

How hardworking is our students? God knows...I guess I'm the only one who's going to start class tomorrow..Most of the lecturers will only start their class after Christmas...during my time, we attended class whenever our lecturer asked us to do so...to date, lecturer cannot start class because students not around...unbelievable....Of course, I don't have to 'balik kampung', so I don't care...hahahahaha...

No comments: